- the learned profession that is mastered by graduate study in a law school and that is responsible for the judicial system; "he studied law at Yale"
- a generalization that describes recurring facts or events in nature; "the laws of thermodynamics"
- the branch of philosophy concerned with the law and the principles that lead courts to make the decisions they do
- legal document setting forth rules governing a particular kind of activity; "there is a law against kidnapping"
- the force of policemen and officers; "the law came looking for him"
- the collection of rules imposed by authority; "civilization presupposes respect for the law"; "the great problem for jurisprudence to allow freedom while enforcing order"